September 9th, 2015
Did you know?
Did you know 1/3 of aged adults fall each year? Among older adults, falls are the leading cause of both FATAL and nonfatal Injuries according to the CDC. Please consider helping your loved ones stay safe with these Helpful prevention tips.
TRIPPING, SLIPPING, AND LOSS OF BALANCE:
Poor Lighting, Obstacles in Pathways, Throw Rugs, Uneven Carpet Edges, Slippery Floor Surfaces
- Ensure proper lighting, use nightlights to light a path from Bed to Bathroom
- Remove clutter in pathways
- Remove throw rugs or secure with no slip backing
- Tape down upended carpet edges
70% OF FALLS IN THE HOME OCCUR IN THE BATHROOM:
Slippery floor surfaces, Lack of supportive handholds, Stepping from tub/shower to slippery surfaces, Poor lighting at night, Hurrying to the toilet, Bathroom doors that open inward making it difficult to access a fallen adult
- Non Slip matts/decals/strips on floors and in tub and shower
- Grab bars in contrasting colors, transfer benches and shower chairs
- Nightlights and adequate lighting in and en route from bed to bathroom
- Bedside Commode
- Bathroom doors that open outwards of install sliding pocket doors, remove door locks
Help Services can be there in case of a fall and get the Help your loved ones need.
About half of elderly people who fall cannot get up without help. Remaining on the floor for greater than 2 hours after a fall increases risk of dehydration, pressure ulcers, rhabdomyolysis, hypothermia, and pneumonia. In the event of a fall you can get help quickly with the simple press of a button. This reduces the medical complications that can result from being immobile for prolonged periods of time.
Get Help today, you’ll be glad you did. Call us at 866-672-4852, we are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to assist with your needs.